More commonly referred to as bad breath, halitosis is a dental condition often caused by harmful bacteria that creates foul odors. The presence of bad breath can affect your self-esteem and your personal relationships. Our dentist can help you eliminate bad breath by developing effective oral hygiene habits.
There are three important dental habits you can perform at home to treat halitosis as well as prevent tooth decay and gum disease. These are brushing and flossing your teeth and rinsing with mouthwash.
– Brushing reduces bad breath.
– Brushing twice a day can reduce the buildup of plaque and lower your risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
– When food particles become stuck to your teeth or gums, they require effective brushing techniques to be removed.
– Flossing can remove food particles from tight spaces in your mouth that can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
– Flossing at least once a day can improve the health of your smile by reducing plaque buildup in your mouth.
– When food particles become stuck between your teeth, they can often only be removed with flossing.
– Mouthwash can reduce bad breath.
– Mouthwash flushes the harmful acids and bacteria from your mouth that can otherwise cause the development of gum disease or tooth decay.
– Mouthwash lowers your plaque buildup.
We encourage you to practice effective oral health care habits every day to keep the health of your teeth and gums at its best. To learn more about how to treat bad breath, call Sharon Sims at 318-631-1100 today and schedule an appointment with our dentist, Dr. Sharon Sims.